Saturday, January 14, 2006

errrrrrrrrgh

teaching calc 3 is already more trouble than it's worth, and the semester doesn't start until tuesday!

after altar guild this morning (which was fun because we got to change out the colors of the linens on the altar again (we made them red last week afternoon for the new pastor's intallation) today and change out the banners up front), i've spent the past 2.5 hours in a computer lab in the math building figuring out the maple lab i'm supposed to teach my students next week. i have a week and a half for this, but i want it out of the way... this isn't even thinking about preparing a lecture for tuesday yet.

while working i get the following email (names deleted) from a professor who i know well who is teaching 2 of the 5 calc 3 lectures:


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DEAR Ms. P------:

I hope you can help me. Here is the situation. I am to teach two lectures
of 251. I have two recitation instructors. My first lecture is on Tuesday.
The first recitations are on Wednesday for all six secvtions. Here, in
fact, is the schedule:

I had intended to meet with Mr. ------- and Mr. --------- at 11 AM on
Monday to discuss the course, and specificially to discuss the first
"recitation" meetings, in the Maple labs. I sent e-mail to both of them
about 10 days ago.

Errr ... I just got a first response from Mr. -------. He is traveling
(out of the country) and will not be back until early Wednesday. This is a
bit ... unexpected. (I am trying to be diplomatic.)

Well, I was planning on attending and helpinig to supervise the first
recitations at least of each person (sections 5 and 8). I could do more,
but (due to having just one body) not help in both sections 7 and 8, which
meet at the same time. Indeed. Could you help with sections 5 and 6 and 7?
That is, if you have no conflicting classes? If section 5 meets too early,
I can do thatg by myself, and would be willing to work with you in section
6, but would have to leave you to solo (?) with section 7. This is a lot,
and I will owe you or something.

Let me know, please, if this is possible. If you have conflicting
responsibilities, I'll understand. Grump.

Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this is a professor who has helped me out a lot with things in the past, and i don't have class on wednesday, but that means, due to another TA just not coming back in time to teach, i get the joy of teaching from 8:40-1:20 not only on tuesday, but also for someone else on wednesday... besides that, the professor who just wrote me asking for help is doing a different version of the maple labs than i just spent 2 hours working through for my sections, so that means even more prep time. people are lucky that i'm nice to pinch hit for things like this... because especially with fighting the beginnings of a cold, this week is going to majorly suck.

wish me luck.

No comments: