Sunday, June 17, 2007

i am a victim...

... of identity theft! holy freakin crap (pardon the language)

some of my friends make fun of me for how OCD i am about shredding any paper with anything about me on it, etc., but it still happened.

i logged into my bank website this morning to compare what it said against my checkbook (and because transactions from foreign countries depend on the exchange rate of the day)... there was a charge of $75 in georgia from friday, when i was obviously nowhere near georgia this week!

i called up the bank, and they looked into it and said whoever did it had a physical copy of my card and spent $75 on gas.

so i'm out of a debit card until i get to the bank in person this week to get a temporary one while the fraud claim/investigation goes through.

the commercials about identity theft protection are funny, and i thought i was being good by being careful with my card and by shredding stuff, but apparently that's not enough.... not cool.

ergh....

No comments: