Monday, April 07, 2008

twas the night before thesis defense...

... and unsurprisingly i can’t sleep.

this is funny:
145 things (not) to do at your thesis defense

and this is not thesis-y at all, but it still made me laugh
remix of the star spangled banner

but this is probably most appropriate of all, borrowed from:
http://www.letstalkscience.ca/main/ppnewsletters/vol5iss2.pdf

Twas the night before thesis
And all through the house
Not a keyboard was stirring
And neither, the mouse

The journals were strewn
’cross the floor with no care
in the hopes that the signatures
soon would be there

When I in my sweatshirt
Rolled off of my cat
And with bleary eyes woke
From a short thesis nap

I stood from my slumber
And looked ’round my room
"I’ll defend this vile thesis,
and defend it quite soon."

The coffee was spilled
On my old office chair
"I’ll clean that next Monday,
It’s no harm to me there."

When off in the distance
I heard the odd sound
"’Tis my external", said I
"That’s his plane, touching ground"
But the sounds were unlike
Any jet that I knew
Instead of twin engines
It sounded like hooves

So I went to the window
And rubbed my red eyes
And saw the external
Fall out of the skies

And instead of a suitcase
He carried a sack
Which was lumpy with boxes
’Twas my worst fears come back

"He’s brought some new journals,"
I thought out of fright
"To point out my faults,
and cause a re-write"

But he seemed not cruel
Or looking for folly
As he ambled towards the lab
He seemed quite jolly

And he opened his sack
Untying the string
And looked in my eyes, saying
"I bring you one thing."

"I remember the trauma
Of defense in my time
So instead of petty questions
I have brought it back signed."

Well he tossed out the box
With the thesis within it
And with a "Ho Ho Ho"
He was off in a minute

And then off in the distance
The portly man cried
"Merry thesis to all
and to all a good night"

... dude, in 18 hours the big scary defense will be done and my graduate career with have nothing left than possible thesis edits and easy forms to fill out.  how weird is that?

No comments: