Saturday, August 06, 2005

... and then he took my shoe!

here's a story that's never happened to me before.

Wallenstein Gardens are remarkably close to the university, so melissa and i were camped out there for the past couple hours just reading and having a wonderfully nice afternoon.

they have these fantastic like 8 foot long benches all over the place that people lay out on and nap on and whatever. so melissa and i were sharing a bench. i had my back to the arm rest and my legs spread out on the bench. when a security guard came up to me and said something in czech, i correctly deduced that he was telling me to keep my shoes off the bench, so i replied "ok" and turned and sat with my feet on the ground again.

thing is, he kept elaborating at me in czech, with me and melissa just very confused. i thought he was about to fine me or something, more or less just paying attention, watching body language and trying to figure out what on earth was going on.

when i still looked very confused and didn't act as he thought i should, he grabbed my foot, took of my shoe, tossed it on the ground, and then put my foot back on the bench.

turns out, he was just telling me bare feet on the benches, but no shoes. were i talking to a foreigner who didn't understand me, i probably would have stopped with the "keep your feet of the bench" once that was understood, so yay for him being nice enough to point out that i could still sit comfortably and not get in trouble

but dude... i never expected a 75 year old czech security guard to take my shoe!

for 5 straight minutes afterwards, a nearby bench of older czech women laughed at me. i have to say, melissa and i got a decent laugh out of the aftermath as well....

language barriers are ever so much fun. ;P

later dudes.

No comments: