Saturday, April 01, 2006

you have *got* to be kidding me

lately, i've gotten the sense that the chemicals in my body are completely out of wack.

i attribute this to the fact that my shape/weight has changed drastically in the past year, and figure that once i stay consistently at a good size, things will balance out again.

but here's the latest in that saga.

went to the eye doctor today. my eyes still see as well as they did before, so same prescription.

but apparently, when you blink, your eyes get covered with a layer of tears. for most people it takes 12-15 seconds before this layer starts to break down. the eye doctor put dye in my eye and checked... for me, it's breaking down in 7-8 seconds, which means apparently my eyes aren't making the right consistency of tears right now to keep my eyes well-lubricated... hence why they've felt dry a lot lately.

his suggestions were
(1) "if you weren't a grad student and had more substantial health coverage, i'd prescribe $100/month eye drops to fix it", but
(2) "since you don't have that, we'll do the more cost-effective version: two kinds of over the counter drops, plus a new vitamin you should take to convince your body to make better tears"

how much fun is that?

apparently i'm temporarily broken... we'll see how long this lasts. :P

No comments: