Thursday, May 31, 2007

one drugged up week

this week has been so bizarre.

i barely ever take medicine for anything, except an occasionaly ibuprofen for a bad headache, so being on 3 different kinds of prescription drugs this week has thrown me for a loop.
* penicillin (not so bad, just to keep me from getting infected)
* dexamethasone (also, not so bad, just have to eat with it to keep it from making my stomach hurt... to help with swelling, etc.)
* hydrocodone (pain medicine... the one that's been driving me nuts)

i just finished my last dose of the middle one, and i gave up on the vicodin (hydrocodone) yesterday. my jaw hurts a little, but the pain medicine was making me dizzy, uncoordinated, sleepy, and grumpy... it's hard enough mostly sitting still for several days, but not being able to do much without knocking stuff over and getting upset about it, and not being able to focus enough to read even juvenile fiction made me even more grumpy, so i just stopped taking it. it was the first two that are most important anyhow.

now that i'm just down to penicillin, i hope to get increasingly coherent. i went to work today briefly and did about 20 minutes of stuff in an hour and a half. hopefully efficiency will increase quickly :P

here's the rundown in the near future (aka why i really hope to feel much better in the next two days so i can be productive again):
* interview tomorrow morning with the graduate school dean's office for what could be my 2nd summer job plus extra money during the school year... more on that if the interview goes well.
* REU (the summer research program i've run for the past two years and am doing again) starts monday. goal: be able to at least smile without pain by then :P
* i leave for scotland for the next permutations conference in 9 days... i haven't been coherent enough to prepare my talk yet. hopefully it comes together quickly!
* in other fun, my friend dave (of valpo fame) is going to another valpo friend's wedding in central PA on saturday. i'm not feeling up to going, but he's coming to visit me for church/lunch sunday. in the interest of being a good host, i'm hoping i feel up to more than just sitting around. we shall see. :P

anyhow, the summary is: life gets busy again soon, and i'm surviving... hopefully significantly closer to normal each day... wish me luck!

No comments: