Tuesday, September 26, 2006

definition, please?

yesterday as i was out walking around my neighborhood, i passed several identical signs in a row reading:

"STOP BUSH! VOTE NOVEMBER 7TH"

that's fine. as i walked past though, i noticed the following small print at the bottom. "sign paid for by 'Our Community Votes', a non-partisan organization"

my post is completely apolitical... and all about vocabulary.

if non-partisan really means "free from party affiliation, bias, or designation" (from merriam-webster online), how can a non-partisan organization be anti-one party and still really non-partisan? sure, they can be free from affiliation or designation, but last i checked, isn't bias against, still biased?... and if they have a party bias (even biased against), aren't they by definition partisan?

give me "MAKE YOURSELF HEARD! VOTE NOVEMBER 7th" or "TAKE A STAND! VOTE NOVEMBER 7th" and I'll call you non-partisan. Say "STOP (fill in blank of any partisan leader)" and i think by definition, you're not.

maybe my fault lies in taking merriam-webster as my standard for vocab definitions... who knows. but contradictions get to me....

the end.

No comments: