Tuesday, September 26, 2006

it's just like riding a bike...

...once you learn, you never forget.

or so they say.

i am 25 years old. the last time i'd ridden a bike was when i was 13. that's seriously HALF my life ago.

colleen and leigh both have bikes now. i asked leigh if i could try to ride hers around the block tonight to see if i still could.

problem 1. i got on the bike and got going no problem... when i saw an oncoming car and wanted to stop, my gut reaction was to back-pedal. turns out that doesn't do a thing on adult bikes which apparently all have hand brakes... so instead i outpedaled the car to the next block then turned quickly. i figured out handbrakes, but it's counterintuitive to me and not my gut reaction at all.

problem 2. i've never ridden a more-than-single-speed bike before either. apparently all adult bikes have gears. it's a good thing i didn't know this while riding leigh's bike in the dark or i would have flipped out. if i ever convince myself to buy a bike, i think i'd have to leave it in the same gear all the time. that's just too much for me to take in at once in addition to hand brakes.

just like riding a bike, my foot. apparently, graduating from a middle schooler bike to an adult bike is a bit more complicated than it looks.

the end.

No comments: