Sunday, March 26, 2006

all for the love... of a book

one of my favorite books on the planet is the hitchiker's guide to the galaxy i have the edition that has all 5 books of the "trilogy" in one volume, and while i've read it cover to cover several times, i'm all about lending it out to others to share the joy.

several rutgers people have borrowed the tome from me (with 5 books in one, it's several inches thick and hard to miss) over the past couple of years, and last i knew it had been living in scott's room for months.

anyhow, that's fine, until yesterday, when i asked scott if he still had it, and he didn't. he thought he remembered giving it to leigh.

so i asked leigh, and she thought she remembered me giving it to ben.

so i called ben, and he had no clue where it was, but it wasn't with him.

so as a last resort, i called eric, who didn't have it, but had another suggestion for me. he said he could have sworn he had seen it on hoon's shelf when walking down the hall recently.

hoon is one of eric, scott, and jared's current roommates. hoon is from korea, and his english is not the best. he also has some interesting living habits such that eric, scott, and jared are regularly confused by him. (and probably vice versa).

either way, at my request, eric went to visit hoon, and basically asked
"hey, that's a good book -- is it yours?"
hoon's response?
"no. what's it about? it's decoration. it came with the room."

eric told hoon was the book was about and checked the front cover (which had my name in it) and retrieved the book for me (hoon had no intention of reading it, otherwise he'd be welcome to too). seeing as it was in scott's room as recently as november/december, and hoon's explanation doesn't go any further than above, how it got from point a of scott's room downstairs to point b of hoon's room upstairs is a mystery.

nonetheless, yay eric for solving it. of all places, i would NOT in a million years have thought to check hoon's room for my book.

the end.

1 comment:

~ruthie said...

I have that exact same hard bound "trilogy" of the HHG and I, too, have read it multiple times. BEST BOOK EVER! I was disappointed in the movie, though.

Anyways, I'm glad all is well with your copy of the HHG. :)