Saturday, July 15, 2006

lara + bookstore = trouble

as if I don't already have a corner of my room that looks like this:

plus a wall full of books in my parents' house, plus half a bookcase more of my own books in the living room of this house...

seriously, books have like a magnetic attraction to laras.  i see them, i skim them, i MUST buy them.

It adds to the connundrum that I've bought and inherited books for years at a faster rate than I have time to read them.  I'm currently halfway through Innumeracy: Mathematical Illiteracy and its Consequences by John Allen Paulos, which I've owned since i inherited it from a professor my senior year of undergrad, and never got around to.  I expect to finish it in the next couple days.

After that, the stack of "recently" purchased (defined as in the last 4 months) books for me to read includes:
* About A Boy by Nick Hornby
* A History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters by Julian Barnes
* A Mathematician Reads the Newspaper by John Allen Paulos
* I Think, Therefore I Laugh by John Allen Paulos

plus several math books i've gotten out of the library for "fun" this summer.

tonight, scott and i got dinner and then spent the better part of an hour wandering around barnes and noble... this is lethal for my wallet... i seriously can't help myself.

newest additions as of tonight:
* The Number Devil by Hans Magnus Enzensberger
* Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
* Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
* Annie Freeman's Fabulous Travelling Funeral by Kris Radish

The first 3 I've considered buying for awhile and finally caved.  the last three were on a buy 2 get the 3rd free shelf, so the last one (which I'd never heard before, but was intrigued by the jacket) can be considered the freebie. :P  it has very bipolar reviews on amazon, so we'll see...

summary: i'm a bookaholic.  i really CAN'T help myself.

the end.

1 comment:

~ruthie said...

the shopaholic series is a cute chick-lit read. i think you'll like it as an escape from so much 'serious' reading. :)