Wednesday, August 11, 2004

mental breakdown, anyone?

today didn't start off all bad... we got internet at the new house, i got my room decorated and it looks completely awesome... and etc.... this afternoon's where things got painful...

(1) roommate's mom had a bad afternoon... she was good all morning, then had a spinal tap and after that things went downhill for the day... she was in pain and didn't recognize anyone, and roommate was tired and taking turns with her dad so that someone was in the hospital with her mom all night... yuck :-(

(2) more specifically on the lara front, when we got internet, i hooked up my desktop... promptly 10 minutes later it crashed.... that's what it's done all day... and is about to do again... so i tried to start up my laptop and it was fine for a bit, until i started trying to configure our new router through it, did a restart and since then, it freezes and then turns itself off before it even boots windows!... i can't deal with either of them... my desktop is at least 10 years old though and my laptop is going on 6, so i knew they needed replacements,... i was just hoping they'd hold out until i had money to afford replacements, ya know?

in summary, when my machines both basically died within 6 hours of each other (what are the odds of that?) (one i can't turn on, the other i can for 15 minutes at a time), i threw the laptop across the room (which probably didn't help it), and called eric, and related the situation... he said he'd help me find a new computer, but first we should sit still for a bit and chat about it before we went spending money i already don't have.... that was around 7:30/8pm tonight... (this was time #1 i was in tears today)

since then, eric and me went to subway for dinner and took out my angst on sandwiches and he both listened to me rant for a bit, and convinced me it was good to sleep for a night and calm down before going to spend $$... instead we rented movies... big fish (which i had seen before and he hadn't) and amelie (which he had seen before and i hadn't)... while at blockbuster we ran into john and his girlfriend emily and while explaining my evening, i waved my arm to gesture while talking (something i do frequently), and dislodged a whole shelf of videos, sending them all over the floor -- perfectly in keeping with my day... (this is time #2 i was in tears today)

the story only gets more woeful from here if you're starting to wonder about my sanity... eric and i watched big fish, and then before amelie, went to make popcorn... since colleen was grading papers for the class she teaches in the same room as we were watching the movie, i asked her what kind she wanted and she voted for kettle corn... i made popcorn, took it out of the microwave, freaked out that it didn't say kettle corn on the bag (and thought i had messed up) and ended up crying about that for another 5 minutes before eric convinced me that wasn't worth being upset over...

in summary, my breaking point/tolerance for stress right now is exceedingly low.

tomorrow, after eric runs lots of errands, it's a pizza and computer shopping party... tomorrow night i'll have a brilliant new computer... all with only $8 in checking... but hey, if i'm already in the 5 digits in debt, what's another thousand going to hurt? at this point, i really really really don't care.

night y'all

No comments: