Sunday, October 17, 2004

happy weekend

it's been a quality weekend.

friday, eric and me went to subway and then to the rutgers wind ensemble concert, and had a good time... afterwards we went by starbucks and then chatted the night away (gossip might be a better word for it actually,... oops), and played board games for awhile... it was good to catch up... we don't have time to hang out as much anymore.

since i was up til like 4am friday night i was asleep most of yesterday... however, ben and me caught a matinee of "shall we dance", which we both enjoyed immensely... lyrics to a song in the movie that have been in my head for the past 24 hours:

The book of love is long and boring
No one can lift the damn thing
It's full of charts and facts and figures and instructions for dancing
But I
I love it when you read to me
And you
You can read me anything

The book of love has music in it
In fact that's where music comes from
Some of it is just transcendental
Some of it is just really dumb
But I
I love it when you sing to me
And you
You can sing me anything

(by peter gabriel)

after the movie, ben came to my house and helped me and leigh with homework (now that we have analysis problems to do to prepare for the qual and stuff)... then leigh, ben, and i went to dinner (there's a new perkins near here, and i hadn't seen any of them in jersey before, so that's where we went)... afterwards, ben and me did more homework after which we had a similar evening to me and eric the night before... board games, gossip, and other such fun until i was ready to fall asleep... fun, right? :-)

today... well, today i should be doing homework but haven't convinced myself to... i realized something this morning at church... (we had a cool "narrative service" today, that i had never seen them do before... before each major portion of the service one of the deacons would read a paragraph about what exactly the liturgy in that part of the service means... it was cool... on the other hand, they knew the organist would be out of town this week, and some guy played piano during the first service and never came back for the second service, so pastor played the piano for the opening, closing, and sermon hymns, and the we read instead of sang the liturgy and had no communion music... last minute making do... i was impressed with pastor's sight reading piano ability though :-P)

anyhow, what i realized was this... i knew since january that pastor j was retiring by the time he turned 65 in november... what didn't hit me yet (although i guess i could have looked ahead on the calendar and seen) was that his LAST sunday is next week.... :-(... there will be the regular services in the morning, a retirement worship service (how funny does that sound?) next sunday afternoon, followed by a banquet that i didn't have money to pay for... but i'll go to the afternoon service next week for sure... that's just a change i knew was coming, but put in the back of my mind b/c i wasn't the most excited about it, and now it dawned on me suddenly that that's going on, and it's a little strange...

anyhow, that's that... like i said, i *should* be working :-P

later dudes

No comments: