Thursday, September 29, 2005

numerical victories of the past 24 hours

pounds: 51 down, 49 to go (i.e. as of today i'm over halfway done with my goal of losing 100 pounds by christmas 2006... yay lara!)

running time: when i started walking 5 miles a night, i averaged an 18 minute mile (given that's not that fast, but i'm working on getting in shape from like not doing anything other than walking around the house or the office all day; also 5 miles is quite more substantial to maintain a pace than just darting through 1 mile)... gradually, i've sped up and been somewhere between 17 and 18 minute miles... last night i finally broke the 17 minute mile mark and maintained it for the whole 5 mile route i take around town... actually it took me an hour and 24 minutes to go 5.1 miles... so that's something closer to 16.5 minute mile. for a "real" runner, this is slow, for me, this is a victory.... it's not as if i have time to work on going farther, so i might as well work on going faster, right?

oral committee members: 3 down, 1 to go... i just asked my current combinatorics professor to be on my committee. he laughingly commented "ooh! with the people you have so far, it sounds like i get to be the difficult person for once instead of just a softie!" ha.

40 minutes to do my own work... an hour and a half of office hours for my students... to be followed by dr. z.'s seminar and then free indian food, courtesy of dr. z.... thursday nights are good. :)

later dudes.

1 comment:

~ruthie said...

wow! awesome job on the weight loss! i applaud your goal, and the healthy steps you're taking to get there! keep up the great work! :) I wish I had your determination to stick with my exercise routine! btw, if you're interested, i participate in a weight loss blog with about 20 other people..it's motivation to keep us all going towards our goal. you're welcome to come by and sign up if you'd like to!

http://bloggerbiggestloser.blogspot.com

we always welcome new members!