Friday, February 25, 2005

an ode to being antisocial

i never would have called myself antisocial before... just not into big groups of people, but i think tonight seals it.

colleen's sister erin and erin's boyfriend kenny are here visiting colleen for the weekend. for some fun this evening, colleen invited about 10 people over for poker and whatever other board games happened to apprear... naturally, 10 people turned into more like 20-25...

eric had been kidding me all week that he expected i would just be staying in my room for the evening and not seeing anyone. i laughed and said if there was euchre, i'd be all about playing and whatever... but the closer it got to people coming over, the more set i was to just read in my room with the door cracked... ben came to say hi when he first came over, same with scott... eric and paul have each been in and out throughout the evening, while i read through a whole back issue of mental floss and have no idea who all is over here other than there's a LOT of people.

in fact, my entire contribution to the evening was this:



signs over our trash/recycling so i didn't have to sort it out later... oh, and i cleaned the bathroom and kitchen before colleen came home so she didn't have to do it... otherwise, completely minding my own business.

it's not like i don't like the people out there... 50% of them are ones i've hung out with and had a great time with in smaller groups... others are ones i perfectly well enjoy chatting with... it's just you put 20-30 people in a small confined space where they're not doing one set thing (like cards nights last year were just find because we were all playing cards and that's it) and kinda bouncing around between each other like electrons, and my mind can't take it.

i'm perfectly happy minding my own business; the only reason i get moderately bothered by not being in the group is when some people give me crap about it and tell me i'm purposely excluding myself, and that that's no good... but really... i have friends... they're all over here... i just choose to interact with them in smaller groups... oi.

i don't know when i got quite this extreme in my hermit-ness... it's always been there to an extent, but not like this... oh well.... i've had a perfectly good night of reading, so so be it.

later dudes :-P

No comments: