Sunday, June 05, 2005

:-/

mom called an hour ago.

my great-uncle art died early this morning.

his wife decided not to call and tell my grandma (uncle art's sister) until after g-ma's birthday dinner tonight. now, my parents are with her until tomorrow listening to her freak out about things. the wake is tuesday... funeral, etc. later in the week.

two best memories of uncle art:

when i was in 8th grade i read a book that referenced adolf eichmann (one of the chief nazi leaders under hitler), and recognized that that was g-ma's maiden name... when i decided to write a report on him for social studies class, and uncle art was the only relative who actually wrote me back with something besides "why are you asking these questions? forget about it."

uncle art's birthday was june 19 (mine is june 21). we were all over to his house with extended family for his 65th birthday. as soon as he blew out the candles (the number ones... one with a 6, one with a 5), he called me into the room and relit them, telling me that we *had* to sing for my 11th birthday too, and 6+5=11 so he'd even share his candles. i always thought that that was a funny joke.

anyhow... farewell uncle art. he was cool. and there's much family much closer related to him than me who are missing him now too...

what a world.

night y'all.

No comments: