Monday, September 20, 2004

ups and downs

i should wear my cranky toe socks more often (seriously, i have a pair of toe socks that are black and say cranky all over them, with a little frown face on each toe -- kristin (aka roommate) gave them to me last christmas so i could keep my feet warm and warn friends i was in a bad mood at the same time)

wearing them though, for the most part bad stuff didn't happen, and good stuff did instead

good:

* sarah came in this morning and asked if she could spend the night at our house b/c she doesn't want to drive back to hoboken tonight when she doesn't get done teaching til 10:30pm... i like sarah, so it'll be cool to have a guest tonight :-)

* mohammed stopped me on the way out of class this morning (i'd never talked to him before ever) and asked "so you're in charge of the pizza seminars, right? i really do want to give a talk this semester... when can you sign me up for?"... dude! only 3 spots left to find speakers for -- i like volunteers!

* i finally figured out how to do one of the two problems i was majorly stuck on and mad about yesterday -- victory!

bad:

*i've logged into my math account often enough that i'm temporarily locked out of my @math.rutgers email, and unlike the general student server i can't just change my password and fix things from my own computer... i gotta go track people down in person tomorrow to fix it -- this makes me sad :-(

oh yeah! but despite all that... the best part of today? i got a letter from my friend rita from budapest... she's emailed me from time to time since i left hungary, but never written an actual letter, so that was exciting... i love reading letters from my hungarian friends... they generally add a clause somewhere about how they worry about their english and hope it makes sense... but seriously, i love the different ways they construct their sentences from how a native english speaker would -- i think it often comes out prettier :-)

case in point? "so i'm busy, but i don't have to forget my dear friends like you. perhaps i told you that time you left hungary that u have an especially aura - i mean, you are especially special person, very kind."

conclusion? yay for friends :-)

later dudes.

No comments: