Thursday, October 13, 2005

ode to the art of away messages

Auto response from (dave): Away.
(me): that's not very descriptive... try again
(dave) returned at 11:59:15 AM.
(dave): my away messages need to inform and entertain?
(me): yes
(me): your profile does not
(me): so your away message should
(me): capishe?
(dave): yes'm
(me): good work :-)
(me): are you a party these days?
(dave): you know me. I'm always a party
(me): oh good
(me): i'm not
(dave): why not? your professors and your students love you
(me): but because i'm working so hard at that i don't have enough time for doing my own research/studying for quals that i should be doing
(me): crap... i just ftped to the wrong server
(me): hang on a sec
(dave): aod'oh
(me): what do you do on thursdays?
(dave): it's my day off
(me): obviously not only was your away message lacking in entertainment value, it was also lying, so you were right there to answer my attack
(dave): I had just put up the message so I could go take a shower, clean, etc.
(me): then you should think of a clever way to say that
(me): like i say "in the people cleaner"... you can't steal that though
(dave): I have to be creative on my own, not just being creative by using your creativity?
(me): that's not creative
(me): that's plagiarism
(me): i thought you should be good since you're a pastor in training
(me): plagiarizing isn't being good
(dave): what if I give you credit?
(dave): properly cite my sources?
(me): "lara says i'm in the people cleaner" sounds scandalous... even worse than plagairism
(dave): hmm...
(dave): "I'm in the people cleaner. (borrowed from Lara)"
(me): but you're not borrowing a people cleaner from me
(me): that's too far away
(me): and sounds clumsy
(me): you should be clever on your own
(dave): that's too much work for my day off, though
(me): you were a CC graduate... there has to be some clever in you for all occasions
(me): even for days off
(me): you could quote songs
(me): that's allowable plagiarism
(me): "splish splash, i'm takin a bath" comes to mind
(dave): I'm glad I have you to tell me what is allowable
(me): i know, aren't i helpful?
(dave): except it'll be a shower, not a bath
(me): the people don't have to know that... besides, splish splash and bath sound better than "flower power, i'm in the shower"
(dave): true
(me): all though you could use the shower one for added dramatic effect
(me): your away message readers wouldn't expect it at all
(dave): also true, and what I was thinking of doing.
(me): good work
(me): let me know how many comments you get
(dave) is away at 12:13:05 PM.
Auto response from (dave): Splish Splash, I was taking a bath (I mean shower).
(me): scared of "flower power", eh?

No comments: