Tuesday, March 01, 2005

a mass apology

my brother called earlier. we talked for less than 10 minutes. 3 or 4 of those were actually me talking to tina, his kinda-but-not-exactly girlfriend, who i'd never talked to before, so that was entertaining.

my brother informs me that my mom's put out with me and thinks i suffer from a chronic bad attitude lately, and while he understands that i'm just working a lot lately and don't want to talk when i'm in the middle of work, she doesn't quite get it.

i'm guessing that part of her commentary to my brother spurs off of an email i wrote her last week that said (in summary): "i was surprised to hear just days before it was going to happen that grandma was having surgery. even if little bits of news along the way don't seem that important, it's easier for me to input the big news when i hear the little news inbetween, please respect that and keep me better informed in the future" i didn't go off on any tirade or anything, just basically said what i just typed... but apparently she found it inappropriate and is irritated with me now, but not telling me so.... oi.... but our last few phone calls (me and mom) haven't been that great either...

most of that story has nothing to do with any of you, except for one thing:

i realize that from an outside perspective, my communication habits have been moderately sporadic lately... you may try to call or email or whatever and i probably come across as short because i'm in the middle of working on stuff or just really focused on other things, and then you see pictures of me being a goof with like leigh last night or whatever... this is just to say, it's all a timing thing lately... if you happen to hit me on the 5% of the time that i actually am taking a break and ready to chat/be silly, you luck out... otherwise, i tend to keep tunnel vision. really, i'm not playing favorites, i'm just working even harder than before. i think in large part this started when i got an advisor and thus am actually taking stuff i really enjoy this semester for once... it's probably going to be like this most of the next several years too.

my brother is pretty good at rolling with the punches, then again he's known me and been dealing with me week to week since he was born... but i'm guessing that the idea that it's really just i want to be left alone to work lately isn't necessarily clear universally. so, if i've offended/irritated you in the past several weeks, i'm sorry, and please just be patient and bear with me... several of you i'll see soon, and we'll have fun then, others of you, maybe wait til may and i'll be a person again for a little at least :-P

in summary... i work... a LOT lately... just because i may come across from time to time (more lately than usual) as if i don't want to give you the time of day or talk, isn't indicative of my mood towards you. but it is a biproduct of my work ethic lately. i'm sorry on the off chance i've offended you lately... please just accept the above as it is, and just be aware of why i am the way i am lately :-P

the end

No comments: