Thursday, November 03, 2005

the damages

oi

so i got home from my shortened walk around 9
i just sat on my bed until about 9:45, and then decided that it might be a good idea to actually look at how bad i had hurt myself since it still kinda hurt and i hadn't tried to clean myself up at all yet

results?
* somehow i got a spliter into the palm of my left hand -- don't ask me how one gets a splinter from a sidewalk, because i really don't know. i've washed it good, i can't get it out, so i guess it'll just have to work its own way out

* somehow in falling, i cut a hole straight through my running pants at the right knee... that's through 2 layers of material, which i found moderately impressive

* quarter sized scab right below my left knee, which is right in the middle of a moderate sized bump (right below the knee)

*large bleeding patch the size of two quarters right below my right knee, which is right in the middle of an even larger bump, again right below the kneecap.

it took me an hour and a half to get my right knee to stop bleeding. not like it was bleeding profusely, but it was a big and deep enough scrape that it took a bit for it to start to scab over good... i sat with ice on it for an hour and a half too (until the ice was completely melted), but i still have a pretty huge knob on it. i'm ok to sit still or to move around on my feet, but the getting between sitting and standing hurts really bad. there's a fair amount of moderate cussing (which i usually try to avoid) that has come out of me tonight in angst.

the worst part was once i was home, but colleen and leigh were studying at a cafe and not going to be home for a bit, i had to clean it up, and it hurt so much to wash out the scrape on my right knee that my arm was actually shaking from the pain while i was doing it.

the joys of being self sufficient and miles and miles from family, right?

conclusion: i'm fine, but i'm going to be grumpy for a few days because i hurt.

the end.

2 comments:

~ruthie said...

ouch! coming from the queen of random falls...take it easy for a few days. tylenol will be your best friend.

don't stop exercising--at least do some modified walking (ie--shorter disances) to keep your muscles loose--it will help to alleviate soreness.

putting some neosporin on the splinter will help to draw it up to where you might be able to get it out.

hope you recover soon!

lara =) said...

actually tylenol won't be my best friend -- it makes me dizzy so i avoid it (i'm just special like that)

the splinter trick really worked! i never would have thought of that, so thanks for the tip!