Sunday, November 13, 2005

two happy things :)

1 is old, 1 is new

(1) this sunday, our new pastor and his wife were visiting. they've been up in the area looking at new houses to buy, and then come move here to jersey to start working at our church in the spring. they'd visited once before, but it was while i was in europe so i'd never met them before. on the way out of church, they stood with the greeters and shook hands.

this may sound trivial, but here's something that absolutely made my day. when i said hello to them, they actually asked me my name.

one of the reasons i felt immediately at home at my NJ church was that by the 2nd week i was there, the pastor knew me by name and always had something to say particularly just to me, even if it was just a sentence. my pastor knew me and cared about me (as he knew and cared about every member of the congregation).

for nearly a year now, we've been in a vacancy period, with a temporary pastor. i'm glad we have a pastor around, but the greeting i get every sunday from him for the past year is "good morning to you all" (it makes me laugh because he says just "good morning" to everyone and i get to him about the point in line where he thinks he needs something different for a person or two and i always get to "to you all". he's admitted from week 1 that he's older and never going to get names straight so he's not going to try beyond the board and church leaders. knowing it's temporary i can deal with it, but being known by name by the pastor is something i've missed for quite some time.

so (a) it was supremely cool to finally meet this pastor we've heard about on paper (and that others have met before but i haven't). he seems like an incredibly friendly guy, and his wife was very approachable and nice as well. and they asked me my name. :)

(2) this one i yack about every few months. last month i put up this post with a timeline of how i've been doing with my weightloss goals and with new clothes i got. a month ago in that post i had commented i had lost 55 pounds. since then i've managed to lose 9 more. (i've heard you can safely lose 2 pounds a week healthily and keep it off, so i'm at about the max you can do at that rate), so here's me just now again... 64 pounds down, 36 to go



this might be getting boring to some of you, but it's at least a little bit fun to me to see how much i've changed in the past year :P

by the way, see the stack of books and stuff in front of my CD tower? that's my to do list today... so apparently i better get doing. :P

happy sunday?

No comments: