Tuesday, November 15, 2005

just in case you thought *you* had a busy week...

here's my next 3 days.

wednesday: teach from 8:55am until 1:15pm, probably talking with students until closer to 2. after standing and talking for that many hours straight, i get a break to find lunch and switch gears and work on my own stuff for an hour or two. from 5-6pm, i give the tropical math seminar. on account of all the stuff later in the schedule, tomorrow night i get to grade 100 calculus quizzes because i won't have time to later.

thursday: i am holding office hours from 10am to 3pm for my students, giving me 2 hours down time to do my own work/stretch. from 5-6pm is usually experimental math seminar, but vince, an older student working with my advisor who got a job in scotland this year is having his thesis defense for the seminar thursday. (he's back in town this week just to defend the thesis). my research is basically extending what vince's thesis is on, so it's imperative i come. after that, celebratory dinner for vince.

friday: my students have their exam friday morning during the same period that i have combinatorics. after the exam and my class, i will pick up half of the exams from the professor and i have until tuesday to grade them. get this... i will have just graded 100 quizes on wednesday night, and then i need to grade 50 exams two days later. i technically have until tuesday, BUT my brother gets into town to visit either friday night or saturday AM, so if i want to actually hang out with him, i'll get the tests graded on friday. so friday, post class, i will be camped out in my living room for 8 hours or so grading exams.

on a happier note, after that, my brother will be here... although he's been grumpy lately when i manage to catch him on the phone, so we'll see how that goes. then i still have to teach and go to my own classes while he's here too.

but, starting tomorrow, welcome to 3 days of grading mania. *not* excited about it.

on a happier note, i just ran through my tropical seminar talk for tomorrow with eric as my audience. he had agreed to critique my first 15 minutes, but was interested enough after that that he stayed to hear me go through the whole thing and commented it was a really cool talk. not that i'm to thank for the material -- the prof in charge of the seminar gave me the paper to learn -- but i did manage to convey it fine, which is good. now hopefully the people who have been in the seminar all semester (which does not include eric) will think it's good tomorrow too. :P

done babbling.... summary: if you have a busy week, be glad you don't have to grade 100 quizzes and 50 exams in the next 3 days on top of your other stuff. ;)

later dudes.

No comments: