Thursday, November 10, 2005

Jesus loves me...

finally, i've finished Jesus Loves Me: Celebrating the Profound Truths of a Simple Hymn

i got this book way earlier this summer when barnes and noble was having a major online booksale. i think i got it for like $4 or something like that. i liked the title, i liked the price, so i figured it could be reading for the plane to prague in july or something.

come with me to europe it did, and i actually started it there.

like the title suggests, throughout the book, the author elaborates on the different phrases in the children's song "Jesus loves me, this i know!". each chapter is about a different phrase in the song.

each chapter begins with a passage or quote from a book related to the topic. then, (my favorite part of the book), each chapter has a couple page "chat" with Jesus with the author asking common questions i think everyone on earth asks at some point or another, and with Christ's responses being directly from or based on Bible passages (references included).

after these two parts, the author goes on to elaborate on the theme phrase of the chapter.

since each chapter is more or less self contained, that's how i managed to stretch the thing out over the course of 4 months even though it's not that long of a book.

the chapter that got to me most, was the one entitled, "this i know: erasing doubt". while the author makes good points throughout, this is the chapter i happened to get to on the night in prague that i found out that my grandma had died back in the states. ironically enough, the "chat with Jesus" begins with

how can i be sure you know me?
are you not one of my sheep? am i not your shepherd? my sheep hear my voice, and i know them and the follow me. i give unto them eternal life and they will enver perish. my Father has made you a present unto me and no one can take you out of my Father's hand.

ironic because that response is based on John 10:27-30 and John 10:27-28 is both my confirmation verse and was my grandma's confirmation verse too. timing wise, it was PERFECT.

my favorite part of this book is probably the "chats". even though they only constitute a small fraction i think they were well-written and relevant.

as with the last book or two i've rambled about on here, you can kind of tell from the title whether it's your cup of tea or not. if it looks like a cool idea, you'll probably enjoy it. if the title doesn't excite you, then it's probably not for you.

far from the most profound book i've ever read, still it was a quiet and simple reminder of an eternal truth that i often get too busy to focus on: Jesus loves me. and to be reminded of that is never a bad thing. :)

the end.

No comments: