Thursday, November 17, 2005

yay for cookies? :)

i returned to my office after vince's defense, and colleen commented "chuck was in here a bit ago and said he owed you cookies on account of some test, they're on your desk."

chuck is the department grad director. i had no idea why he brought me cookies while i wasn't there. but hey, who's going to complain about free girl scout cookies? as i passed the box around the room to share, i kept puzzling out loud why in the world he specifically brought cookies by the office just for me.

10 minutes later, as i was leaving the office, it dawned on me. chuck stopped by the office while i had half a dozen students with me earlier, and he looked like he had questions, but stopped when he saw i was busy, and in response to his "hello, what's going on in here?", i commented "calculus 135 exam tomorrow... math party in here all day today!"
he replied "oh party! do you have cookies?"
me: "nope"
chuck "do you like cookies?"
me: "who *doesn't* like cookies?... unfortunately we don't have snacks at this party"
and just as quickly chuck disappeared and my students were mildly amused.

so 7 hours later, chuck stopped by to give me girl scout cookies just to be nice, and not finding me, he left them on my desk. exceedingly random... i stopped by his office on my way out around 6 to tell him thanks and we chatted for a bit. i'm finally to the point here where i'm on nice friendly terms with several professors here, like i used to be with a handful of the math dept. at valpo, and like i missed my first year here.

it's definitely nice to belong.

it's even nicer when someone sees you stressed out and does something nice and unexpected to make your day easier. :)

off to dinner to celebrate vince's defense... now i'm dr. z.'s 2nd oldest student (as opposed to being the 4th out of 5 last year). how weird is that?

later dudes.

No comments: